There are several local resources available in Onslow County for families with intellectual disabilities or other special needs.
NOTE: This list is provided as a courtesy to families of Onslow County. However, appearance on this list does not in any way imply that Onslow County endorses, supports, or is in any way affiliated with any of these organizations.
Please do your own research and ensure that a resource is right for you and your family.
Also, please see the links on the right side of our website for more resources on a state and national level.
If you know of a resource that should be included on this list, or of updated information for a resource listed, please Contact Us. Please include the name of the organization, what their purpose is (how they help families with special needs), and any contact information you may have (including phone number, website, address, and a person we can speak with or point of contact).
- Family Support Network of the Crystal Coast – Regional parent support information and resource. Contact: Teresa LeRiche @252-675-2751 or 910-347-9754.
- Mayor’s Committee for Persons with Disabilities – A volunteer advocacy group working to improve quality of life for individuals with special needs in Jacksonville and surrounding Onslow County. Contact Carmen Miracle @ 910-938-5224
- Onslow County Health Department – Offers many services designed to protect and promote the health and well-being of children and families in our community. Contact: 910-347-2154.
- Onslow County Partnership for Children – Offers many services for parents of younger children including training, education, toy loan library, resource and referral services.
- Onslow County Schools – Information about evaluation and educational services for children with special needs (preschool and K-12). Contact number 910-455-2211.
- PARENTSS (Positive Action for Recreational & Educational Needs of Today’s Special Students). – Provides modified bowling, softball, and T-ball leagues, support meetings, and holiday parties. Call John or Rena Schobel at 757-714-4077 or Sharon Wojcuich at 910-324-4031.
- PEERS (Parent Education, Empathy, Rapport and Support) Family Development Center – Community supported program aimed at promoting the growth and development of families. PEERS offers: Parenting Curriculums, Adolescent Parenting Program, Parents as Teachers Support Program and Free Drop-In Child Care (reservations required). Contact number: 910-938-5447.
- Special Education 4 Eastern North Carolina (SEAL4ENC) – is being developed as a non-profit organization to empower parents and professionals to excel to their highest abilities through education and training while seeking the strongest outcome possible for all students especially students with disabilities. We support system change that will enrich the lives and the quality of life for children and young adults with disabilities. Contact Wendy E. Boyd or seal4enc.org.
- Down syndrome Network of Onslow and Carteret Counties – “Enhancing the lives of individuals with Down syndrome in our community by connecting families and by providing education, support, advocacy, and social opportunities. Jennifer Wiser at http://dsnocc.org/